Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
April rains bring backed up drains
They say April showers bring May flowers, but with heavy rains causing clogged drains, there could be some other things blooming that you may have wanted to keep buried.
Drain backups caused by leaves blocking drains and gutters could result in some surprises such as sewer backups. This kind of damage differs from a regular water damage since this water may contain viruses, bacteria, and other microorganisms that can cause serious illnesses and in severe cases, even death. With so many risk factors associated with this type of emergency, the professionals at SERVPRO of Dartmouth/New Bedford South technicians are trained specifically in dealing with all three categories of contaminated water. Along with training in water damage restoration, we also have the equipment and protective gear to safely restore your home.
With our 24/7 emergency service, we’re available to deal with this kind of situation no matter the time. If rains and drains are resulting in home pains, call SERVPRO of Dartmouth/New Bedford South and we’ll make it, “Like it never even happened.”
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (508) 999-2380
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.